Sunday, June 19, 2011

Living the Dream

So much has happened since I last updated this blog.

I found out my placement for the summer! I will be working with 3rd graders and have one coworker.  Our school decided to have a theme of the Olympics so we had to pick a country, either real or fake and that was our rooms theme.  We decided to go with Fiji.  Our room is tropical and has some fun elements to it.  Decorating and making decisions about this room really made me excited for having my future classroom.  We get our kids tomorrow and I am ready to see how the first day goes.  We have heard about how it is supposed to happen, but that doesn't mean it will happen that way. I'll keep you posted on how everything goes.
Friday night a group of us went to the place right down the road called Woody's Tavern.  It is going out of business next week, so we had to try it.  It had some really good pizza and burgers.  After we finished eating, we walked around the CSU campus and then went to Old Town and walked around and took pictures.  When we got back to the KD house, I heard a rumor that there was a gas station with gas for $2.99.  I was flabbergasted and had to check it out.  It turns out that the rumor was true, I just had to pay in cash.  I filled up right then and there.  We think the store is going out of business, so the cheapness won't last long, but I'll take advantage as long as I can.
Yesterday was an adventure all in itself.  We started the day out with evangelism training in the morning, and then went and put into practice what we learned.  My group went to the mall and tried to talk to some people and share our faith with them.  We didn't have very much luck at first and were considering leaving the mall and finding someplace new, but it was close to lunchtime and the time we needed to leave to get to our second adventure of the day, so we chose just to stay and make the best out of the time at the mall.  My cell phone had been acting up so I needed to go to the Verizon store anyway, but found a kiosk in the middle of the mall.  The girl that I was sharing with and I had decided we were going to talk to the next person at a kiosk we found and it just so happened to be the Verizon one.  So I had the perfect leadway into the conversation.  The guy was really nice and gave me some good info about Fort Collins and things to do, but when I asked about a church in the area he was not very receptive.  He kinda stopped talking so I knew there was not going to be any spiritual conversation happening with him.  But I ended up getting a new phone cause my contract was ready to be renewed and had to go back to the kiosk after my numbers and pictures were all transferred. After I left my phone there we met back up with the other girls in our group. (there were 6 of us total).  The other groups shared stories of talking to people and having some good conversations which made me pretty excited about trying at least one more time.  It was lunch time and there was a little old man sitting at a table all by himself so I decided to go and sit with him.  He ended up being an Optometrist at the Sears store.  We chatted for a while about his life and mine, and why I was in Fort Collins.  He had heard of Campus Crusade so I figured that maybe we could get into a spiritual conversation.  So I started asking a few questions and we had a really good talk.  I'm going to continue to pray for him, because he has some issues that he needed to work through.  I'm not sure exactly where he stands on his spiritual life, but I pray that he is able to work things out.  I finished my lunch and our group left the mall.
We headed up to our next adventure of the day which was White Water Rafting on the Poudre River.  We signed our lives away, got wet suits, water jackets, life jackets and a helmet for our adventure.  We went at a very crazy time in the river.  All the snow off the mountains were melting so the river was very high .  That can make rafting dangerous, but on a good note, we were able to experience a part of the river that if it is a little higher they wont take anyone, or if it was a little lower they wouldn't take anyone.  It was such a fun trip.  My boat consisted of Caitlyn, Tyler, Kelsy, Kristina, Elyse, Lauren, me and our guide, Dave.  Dave did a great job with all of us girls.  We went over class 3 and 4 rapids.  On one of the rapids we lost Tyler out of the boat, but she swam to the side of the river and luckily there were some people that were taking our pictures that were able to help her.  She chose not to get back in the boat, so the 7 of us continued down the river.  We had some great laughs and definitely got wet.  When we got back to the rafting place we had dinner catered for us, and then headed back to the KD house.  We went that night to my bible study leader, Judy and her husbands Nate's house.  Nate's group of guys were also there so we were able to get to know 4 of the 8 guys on project with us.  We played a game called Nouns which was pretty fun, and then Telenary, or telephone/pictionary.  We had some great laughs and then came back to the house.
This morning we got up and found out how extremely sore we all are from rafting yesterday.  My muscles definitely got a great workout.  We went to church at Timberline.  It is a huge church, or at least way bigger than good ole Mt. Auburn.  Made me miss being at home and seeing everyone, but the message and worship was pretty awesome.  I'm definitely planning on going back there.  After church we went to lunch in Old Town at a place called In-gre-di-ents or something like that.  After lunch we went and visited some of the little shops in town.  We went to a Thrift store and found some great stuff.  We just got back to the house and have been resting and relaxing for the day.  We have dinner planned tonight and then some Bible Study time.  And then I'll probably head to bed early so I can be well rested for the kids in the morning.
I love getting mail so if you life to write letters, send me one!
Stacy Baute
Campus Crusade for Christ
412 W Laurel St.
Fort Collins, CO 80521

If you have any prayer requests let me know,
Peace, Love, FoCo!

No comments:

Post a Comment